Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Book Reading #29 - Opening Skinner's Box Ch 8

Chapter 8

Summary:
This chapter deals with implanting false memories into a subject and seeing if manipulation of that memory could happen. The experiment is done by having subjects read off accounts of them being lost in the mall. These stories are written by their family who write 3 real stories and one false one. Ofn the subjects tested, 25% of them seemed to recollect these false memories and were able to describe them in greater detail as time went on. Some argue that this experiment proves nothing as traumatic events are stored differently in the brain than regular memories.


Discussion:
I really enjoyed this chapter. I have implanted false memories in myself and it sometimes becomes difficult to remember that I made the scenario up and it did not truly happen. I know they are false but i catch myself instinctively saying 'Oh, that happened to me once."

No comments:

Post a Comment