Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Book Reading #28 - Coming of Age in Samoa Ch9

Chapter 9


Summary:
This chapter focuses on exploring the personalities and attitudes of Samoans. Once a Samoan is unwilling, it is left at that and not questioned. The word used for this is "musu". Another thing Mead notices is that when A Samoan describes a person, their description usually follows a pattern of sex, age, ect. It is almost like a cookie cut-out description where just one fills in the words for the person. Alot of times when asked question "I don't know" was the answer most of the time but Mead explains this is used to protect the little privacy they do have.



Discussion:
I found it interesting that people do not question "musu". I could just say not to everything and I wouldn't be hassled by it. I am assuming a psychologist would not be liked in the Samoan village asking and questioning your emotions.

No comments:

Post a Comment